Food and Nutrition Services Cook
Food and Nutrition Cook
- Do you love creating healthy and nutritious meals?
- Does working as a high-performing individual and as part of a high-performing team excite you?
- Are you passionate about people’s overall health and well-being?
- Are you an individual who is effective at communicating with others?
WellAge Senior Communities is a dynamic senior housing organization with recognized healthcare expertise leading our Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care communities. We bring high quality service delivery to our residents and value-driven management outcomes to the business.
Our name, WellAge, reflects our commitment to creating environments and services to promote our residents aging well and remaining active doing the things they love and enjoy. Each community is designed to create a purposeful life and engaging life experiences.
We offer you competitive pay, a great benefits package, opportunities for growth and an engaging culture. Join our team today!
The Cook will prepare, cook, season, and serve adequate, attractive, nutritious, and balanced meals. Meals prepared include meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruit, soups, salads, desserts, breads, and pastries, as specified and scheduled by the menus. The person holding this position is delegated the responsibility for carrying out the assigned duties and responsibilities in accordance with current existing federal and state regulations and established company policies and procedures.
- Handle and prepare food that is palatable, appetizing and attractive
- Establish practice of serving hot food hot and cold food cold
- Cook a variety of foods in large quantities
- Be familiar with seasoning and cooking time required
- Be aware of cooking characteristics of various cuts of meats, fish and fowl
- Prepare foods for cooking: Peel, wash, trim, and cut vegetables and fruit; wash, cut, de-bone and trim meat, fish and fowl
- Cook food: Bake, roast, stew and steam-cook meats, fish and fowl, basting as necessary to retain flavor; make gravies, stocks, dressings, sauces and soups
- Prepare cold meats, sandwiches, griddle cakes, cooked cereals, and beverages
- Use initiative and judgment in setting up meals and utilizing leftovers to avoid waste
- Follow standard recipes but make independent decisions in line with current experience
- Understand importance of proper food-handling techniques and hazards of improper food handling
- Estimate quantities of food required and apportion servings while monitoring portion-controlled guidelines for individual residents
- Taste, smell, and observe food to ensure conformity with recipes and appearance
- Serve food according to dietary guidelines, checking each tray for completeness and accuracy
- Comply with meal schedules
- Maintain and use equipment and supplies
- Work cooperatively with other staff and departments
- Wash pots, pans, and other equipment as used
- Responsible for supervision of other food service employees in absence of the Executive Chef
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Ability to prepare and cook a variety of foods in large quantities. Aware of special diets, seasoning requirements, cooking times, temperature controls. Ability to estimate quantities of food required, limit waste, utilize leftovers while serving attractive, appetizing meals.